Thursday, June 18, 2009

RAFAEL MOREIRA INTERVIEWED

INTERVIEW: GUITARIST RAFAEL MOREIRA-PART ONE
(Interview by DeuceNews)
Hi KISS fellows,
Today I’ve the pleasure to talk with one of my favourite guitar players around: Mr. Rafael Moreira. We left Rafael, August last year while finishing his first Album with Magnetico, and
now….Magnetico is here!!!! Most of KISS fan know him as the guitarist in Paul Stanley’s band for the Live to Win tour, but without no doubts Rafa is much more then that.
He performed as part of the House Band for the CBS television reality show Rock Star: INXS and subsequently Rock Star: Supernova. His amazing talent has driven him to support and play with some of the giants of rock and pop’s music like the ones as Paul Stanley (KISS), Steven Tyler (Aerosmith), Tommy Lee (Motley Crue), Don Felder (The Eagles), Dave Navarro (Jane's Addiction), Pink, Christina Aguilera, Marc Anthony and Enrique Iglesias.
His powerhouse trio Magnetico, with Corey McCormick on bass guitar and backing vocals and Joey K. on drums and backing vocals, was recently voted by Music Connection Magazine as one of the Top 100 Unsigned Bands in the U.S.A. You HAVE TO listen to their magnetic music, there’s nothing equal in the present music scene nowadays!!!
Ciao, Rafa! let’s talk about "Songs About The World"!!! You got the lion share on that, you played all guitars, lead vocals and you even produced it!!!

Guilty as charged. My initial plan was to have someone else produce the album, so we could focus only on performing the music. I went and met with some producers but couldn't find anyone that I felt comfortable with, so I decided to go in with the band and record all the basic tracks in two days. Then it came down to the vocals, which I thought were an important and crucial part on this CD. I met with bass player/producer John Avila from Oingo Boingo, who had seen us live and liked the music very much, so John produced one vocal track on the CD, called "Killer Girl" which I think came out great! But since I didn't have the budget and support of a label or anything I just had to trust my gut instincts and continue to do it myself
(again)! I had previously self produced my first solo CD called "Acid Guitar" and other artists as well, so I had my friend guitar player/engineer George Wabisca engineer and help with sounds throughout the whole record. It was a lot of hard work, especially cutting my own
vocals, but in the end I think it came out pretty good.
I remember last year when I first listen to the disk's opening cut "The Emperor" I literally fell in love with your music!!! Can you make some comments on this cool tune?
Thank you. I was on a plane going to do some shows in Iceland when I started writing lyrics for this tune , I was so fed up with George Bush's bs at the time that I had to do something about it and I wanted to invite people in and make them think about it and join the fight! I wanted the song be strong and mid tempo so I wrote the riff on my Les Paul Baritone!

(Part Two will appear on Saturday, June 20, 2009)

No comments: